Monday, August 31, 2009

First Time

Hello world: So...you'll have noticed that I am blogging (since you're here). After years of resistance, why am I doing this now, you ask? And why should you take a blogging walk with me, when there are thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people out there doing it better, faster, more proficiently than I can?

Well, you can check in with me from time to time if you're interested in my struggle to drop some weight -- a lot of weight -- while holding down a hectic, stressful job in NYC. And if you want to hear hilarious (also maddening, frustrating and gall-inducing) tales of life in Gotham. As for the timing of all this, I guess I finally felt like adding my voice to the chorus. I enjoy the blogs of so many other people who are on weight loss journeys (see list on upper right), and I find them very inspiring and motivational. Seems only fair that I try to share something back.

I can't promise that I'll be a particularly witty or inspiring -- sometimes after a long day of running around (I'm a reporter), the last thing I want to do is write. My only desire then is to throw myself on the sofa and veg out with a hefty glass of wine. Red, usually, and whatever I can see that tempts me at my rather underwhelming corner wine store (and when money is tight I have been known to pick up a $3.99 bottle of Gato Negro -- but I pay for it with a stomachache the next day).

I really enjoy drinking wine -- all sorts -- and not just for the buzz, although I suspect that its relaxing effect is a big part of why I crave wine all the time, given my insanely stressful job. My challenge is how to balance those cravings with weight loss.

The good news is that wine, at 100 calories a 4 oz glass, isn't a real diet buster.

IF...you drink one glass. And IF that glass is 4 ounces.

Let me be honest right up front: I am rarely able to have one glass. And they are NEVER just 4 ounces. So....you see my problem here.

Am now off to bike around the city a bit, despite a lingering cold that continues to hold my nasal passages in phlegmy bondage. After two days out of the city in Boston, covering you-know-who's massive funeral/burial, I need to get back on track.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you blogging! The more of us there are, the more support we give each other, so another voice is always a welcome addition.

    I am sure you can manage to get the wine:weight-loss balance right as time goes on. I tend to just have the one and then follow up with sprintzers, but then I have never been much of a drinker anyway.

    Hope your bunged up nose clears soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you joined the ranks. I'm looking forward to your contributions. Even if you're from New York (West Coast Seattleite here!)

    ReplyDelete